These past few days I’ve been jotting down the factors that keep me productive and unproductive.It’s amazing to know what makes me keep moving and what factors make me feel not to do anything.
Here’s my own conclusion.
- Tiredness. I know I’m not lazy but tiredness fertilizes my fake laziness.If I’m lack of sleep,I feel lethargic most of the time.Laying on bed is my sanctuary or sitting around or surf the internet.These are the things that make me feel more tired. And yes,sleep has to do with it too!When I quit my job at the convenience store,I wake up at 5:20 am now compared before when I have to get up at 4 am for my 5am to 1pm shift.I was tired every end of the day and take an hour (or two) nap.I felt I wasted too many hours napping but few occasions I was productive those nights.
- Setting a deadline. Somehow I accept the fact that setting a deadline is a good idea.It happens when we eat our supper.Usually by 7 pm we’re done and yet we have room for family/bonding time.Cuddling or sitting on the couch until my husband is ready to go back to work at 7:30 pm.Even he already left I sit around and started to wait until 8 pm to start doing my tasks again like clearing the kitchen table,give the girls a bath (and let them play in the tub for a while),sweeping the kitchen,wash the dishes and finish the girls’ bath and get them ready for bed including brushing their teeth,putting their jammies on,brushing their hair and reading a book.These night routine ends up past 9pm. By then,I’m tired.So I decided not to waste 30 minutes sitting then start at 8pm. I start the moment when my husband leaves.Now my schedule is getting better after I set a deadline.
- Move,move,move! This is the highlight of setting a deadline.We should start moving and don’t wait until our body and mind give up on finishing tasks.If you start doing one task then followed by another.Your groove is back.And when you are in your productive mood,it makes you engaged more on finishing tasks.
- My 5-minute rule. I came up with this after I timed myself how long I can finish sweeping the kitchen floor.Our kitchen is not that big and it only took me 5 minutes to sweep every nook of the floor.I don’t do this every night and usually I wait the following day because I’m too tired to do it.Not anymore.Why I would wait at least 8 hours or so to do a task that I can finish in 5 minutes? It’s like folding clothes,although it takes more than 5 minutes to finish the whole laundry basket but the time I can finish them is not too long.Less than 25 minutes I’m done including putting them away.
- Write unfinished tasks on journal. As much as possible I want to finish all chores before going to bed but there are times you can’t.When both your body and mind are tired,all you have to do is to wait until the next day.What I do is to write my to-do-list on my journal.