First let me thank you so much for reading this blog!
Happy birthday The Pinay Mom! Technically, I registered my domain name a year after yesterday but I didn’t start writing a day after of last year….and that’s today. So,I consider this will be the first year.
Can you believe it?This blog has been active that long and surprisingly I made it. My husband wished me luck when I told him about putting this blog in action. I started so many blogs but never wrote one post on each of them. I know it’s sad.
Before I used to be a person of very good at starting something but leave them unfinished. And I hate it! I decided to do this because I got tired telling myself day in,day out-after reading other blogs-that I,too, want to start one.
Looking for my domain name was pretty tough at first. I didn’t have any idea what else. And I don’t want to name it after mine (that is my first and last name) because,well…my name is not known for something like being an author and having a certain brand. And gladysstarkey.com seems pretty boring to me.
That’s why I thought something that really me.
And I came up with The Pinay Mom.
I’m Pinay.Obviously. I thought putting The Filipina Mom but it’s pretty long name and future readers might have a hard time remembering and typing it and I think it’s taken too!
I married an American and we’re raising two girls. Giving you insights about how I deal with two cultures in our household is not a bad idea,I think.
I learned a lot of things in the world of blogging over the past year.
- Write stuffs that passionate us.There are few topics that I won’t get tired posting-simplicity,cooking from scratch,saving money,cleaning and organizing. If something pops up in my mind and I want to write something about it,I post it
- Write from the heart. You might think how I write is so simple or ordinary but that’s who I am. I wanted to write a post that I imagine myself saying this to you in person. I don’t aim to compete with my college English instructors in any way but I will reserve that when I decided to write my own book.
- Blog often. I used to blog daily. Seven days a week. I didn’t mind at first but in the end I felt being unhappy because even my weekend time with myself and my family. Blog took part of my weekend. And I think blogging on weekdays is enough. And blogging should be fun and not felt obligated even on days you’re off.
- Be visual.I learned how important it is to write a post with a picture in it. It makes every post alive and something to look at. Over time,I learned how to take better pictures and I still in the learning process.
I will recommend you to invest in good camera. I’m using Nikon D3100. I used to have digital camera but I’m enjoying my DSLR now. Although,you can still capture beautiful photos using the point-and-shoot camera but you will need to edit those photos. A lot of pictures I post here are unedited unless there’s a title in it. Try to download free editing software. I use Picasa 3 and it works great for me and the fact that it’s FREEEEE!!!!
- Choose a simple theme. Some days I keep on looking for other themes but for now,I will keep this for a while. Also, keep your background in simplicity too! The colors really matter. I think white,blue or green or colors that will give your readers a break from all the distractions going on to your site.
- Socialize. To tell you the truth,I’m pretty bad on this one.I only update my Facebook page and that’s not too often. After a looooooong time I just accessed my Pinterest and Twitter accounts. I’m terrible. But if you want to keep your blog growing,they say keep your social media accounts updated.
- Join blog discussions/comments. I read tons of blogs every day. If there are times I don’t comment,it’s just because I have nothing to say. I don’t want to bombard others’ blogs on their each post just to be active on discussions and to gain exposure. But I see the advantage of being part of the comment section,some commenters are curious about you and your comment. And I get points on page view because of that.
- Blog can be a source of income. I know few blogs that gain popularity and turn it to income generating websites. That’s good for them. In my case, I’m not ready for it. It will take a lot of time for me to monetize this blog. And the time I’m talking about is the one I don’t have enough. I can’t sit two hours uninterrupted blogging. Between work and motherhood is overwhelming for me. I know I spend a lot of hours blogging every day. From writing post to reading other blogs.Plus,taking pictures. I think,there are few reputable ways monetizing blogs but for now I’m not ready for that yet. I will consider it as a bonus if someday I’ll be making money by blogging but for now,I will keep focusing writing topics that I love and hopefully some people will find my blog and keep coming back reading it.
So far,I love blogging. Even I was told and and laughed at by someone because she thinks blogging is for “nerds”. But we’re not nerds and never in million years I will acknowledge that stereotype. We share thoughts,ideas and even our personal experiences that our readers enjoy.
Again,thank you so much for reading my blog.To all of you who comments and the lurkers. I can’t thank you enough. And I don’t care if we’re only very very few in numbers.
Numbers not really matter to me but your virtual existence after my every post is worthwhile. Without you, this blog is nothing. I’m still learning how to post interesting topics and wish you stay around…longer!